Wednesday, November 17, 2010

To be or not to be

My very close friend is going through a tough time. I can't name him for obvious reasons, but since he is as good a friend as it gets, it gives me shivers to look at his pathetic condition. And guess what can be the reason of his sad state? Well, it's a girl. But don't get it wrong. It's not those stereotypical 'one sided love affair' or 'rejected and dejected' or even 'loved and lost' affairs. It's hard to be 'adjectivated' or 'typified'. So here's what it is....as he told me...

He likes her.She likes him.
He doesn't know if he loves her. But he is sure it's the closest to love he has been in his life. She loves him.
He wants to be with her. She wants to be with him.
He is with her.She is with him.For now.
His mom might agree to her. Her parents might also agree to him.
He would probably tell his mom about her. She would definitely never tell her parents about him.
So he can't be with her.She can't be with him. Forever.
He can't leave her right now because she needs him. He wants to be there for her...with her.
But, when the time is right and she is okay with him leaving her, what if he needs her then?
And what if that time never arrives?What if she always needs him? He is sure he can never say 'no' to her for anything. What will he do then?

Now I don't know what to tell him that will make him feel good. I am afraid of the fact that they are going to lose each other. The pinching part is,as he says, their feelings will never be lost. I hope he gets out of this. And gets out without a broken heart.


PS- Since skeptics would anyway think it's me writing in the disguise of my friend, I won't make a clarification. I just want to say, if it was me, I wouldn't be writing it down. I would be doing something about it!

3 comments:

  1. Sir, I personally think that your friend should stop all the assumptions, thinkings and negativity... He should just go ahead with it, as the regret of not doing anything about it shall remain with him forever... I have myself experienced something similar....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your friend as per his desire should continue his relationship.But he must remember that it comes with a time limit.As they say all good things must end

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aritra- I'll convey your advice to him...
    @Anonymous- Well said...though I think my friend would have a hard time digesting it!

    ReplyDelete