Friday, September 10, 2010

Theory of unrelativity

Relativity- A state of dependence in which the existence or significance of one entity is solely dependent on that of another.
So by traditional English standards (if there are any, since English is the most abused language ever invented) 'unrelativity' should refer to 'A state of dependence in which the existence or significance of one entity is solely dependent on the lack of that of another.'

Now, it might sound simple and utterly useful. But, ladies and gentleman, unrelativity is a part and parcel of our day to day lives. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that unrelativity is the root cause of all our happiness. You don't believe me? I thought so. That's why I came prepared. Being an engineer (in the making,that is) I believe strongly in exemplifying as a method of understanding. So here's some picks from our daily lives:-

1. Your interest in your GF, your appreciation of her beauty, intelligence blah blah blah...in short the existence of your feelings and the significance of your relationship is solely dependent on the lack of a better girl in your life. The moment you see one, you are tempted to change the bus. Works the same way for girls too,
Unrelativity, you see.

2. The significance of your grades and the existence of the happiness so generated is solely dependent on the lack of better grades in class. Don't tell me you feel happy to be informed that you scored a decent B+ only to be like 49 out of 50 in class! A  B+ in itself would have been nice, the chink in the armour was???.....being the second last nerdo in class!
Buddy,that's unrelativity.

3.This one's for the health conscious ones. The existence of your self confidence and the significance of your health standard in your own mind is solely dependent on the lack of the nearby presence of a supermodel or a Greek god. Guys, we all know, we don't give a rat's ass about those gigantic beer bellies, UNTIL someone we know rips off his shirt to show that envious 6-pack. I have observed this in gym too. Weaklings pose before mirror like an eight-time Mr.Olympia. Enter that buff guy, and the weakling starts feeling week again!
Unrelativity at work again.

4. The significance of your academic talent and the existence of some respect for you in your parent's eyes is solely dependent on the lack of the presence of that dreaded same-age neighbour who always notches a mark higher than you.Even his parents are not happy.Because someone else did to their son what their son did to my parent's son! Why do parents always have to compare their kids? I wonder how our dads would feel when we'll start comparing them to Gates, Jobs, Ambani and Tata?

5.The existence of taste in the food in your mess is solely dependent on the lack of quality food in nearby mess. Being an engineering undergrad, I know how that delicious paneer suddenly turns tasteless when that friend from the other mess proudly shows off his rabri jalebi and sadistically winks at me!
 
I could give you a gazillion more examples to prove my point. Your college, your neighbourhood,your job, your home, your country, forget every other damn thing, your entire life! The significance of everything is solely dependent on the lack of presence of a better one.

But, in my experiments, I came across some anomalies too.(I told you I am an honest guy!). Two most frequently observed and most puzzling were:-

1.Your professor/boss will never be happy with you. Regardless of the lack of a better student/employee , these people will always make you feel like you are the scum of the world.

2.Any Venusian will never be happy with her figure, the lack of a better counterpart simply does not count.

So you see, unrelativity is the omnipresent phenomenon! The reason for all happiness and sanity. Hey, you white haired womanizer there, yes you Einstein, you listening to me,huh?


PS- A friend asked me to find out the difference between 'allegation' and 'elegation'.I am elated he preferred me over Google.I could even mention that in my CV,right? Anyway,here's the deal
Allegation- An unproved statement or assertion, specially in case of an accusation
Elegation- Problem solving, decision making and interpretation of data.

No comments:

Post a Comment