Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blast from the past-Part 1:The warning signs


Man... cannot learn to forget, but hangs on the past: however far or fast he runs, that chain runs with him.
Friedrick Nietzsche 

“Train number 2329 Kalka mail has arrived on platform number 2”.
Some journeys begin on a positive note. Most others don’t. My arrival in Dhanbad fell, according to me, in the second category.
“All India Rank 5752”-These four words were the worst four words of my life. They still are, for they had shattered my world of dreams then, and they continue to do so even today.
People around me were congratulating me. Why? What was there to congratulate? I thought they were actually mocking me and my so called success (or the lack of it!).
____________________________________________________________________
“Papa lets find an auto for ISM”, I called out to my father.”Excuse me, are you going to ISM?”, a boy of about my age called out from behind. ”Yes”, my father replied.
“Namastey Uncle, I am from ISM.I am a second year student.”, the guy said. Senior, eh,I thought. And coupled with that thought were thoughts of ragging. A shiver down the spine was natural.
“Name, place, branch yaar”, the senior said.
“Huh,what?”, I thought for a moment.
“Name, place, branch yaar”, the senior, this time sternly, said.
“Varun Tyagi, Ghaziabad,B.Tech Mineral Engineering” was my slow and hesitated reply.
“Ghaziabad,huh?,he said.”Listen, don’t tell Ghaziabad as your place anymore, it’s complicated, but for now, just say Meerut.”
____________________________________________________________________
“Congratulations!” the neighborhood uncle said. It felt like a pinch. Damn you, uncle! “So what do you plan to take up?”
“I’ll see,I have not decided anything yet.”
“Maybe you can get some mining wagerah in that college, what’s its name….”
“Its ISM uncle and I said I have not decided yet”, I said and tried to walk away. But I think uncle was in no mood to leave that day.”You took coaching in FIITJEE, right? Then what happened? My nephew got AIR 624”, the epitome of mockery boasted.
“So what? Should I go and kiss him?” I thought.
“Hmm… maybe I didn’t prepare that well, uncle” was all that came out of my mouth.

1 comment:

  1. hmm...well, a common and painful story of each ISMite... my sympathies....

    ReplyDelete